Thursday, December 28, 2006

hip-hop is dead.




















I heard the new Nas song on the satellite radio the other day.
inna-gadda da vida baby!!!!!
Subsequently, I got the urge to listen to "Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida" in it's entirety. Then I got the urge to view the Simpsons episode in which the church organist plays the song and everybody sings along, including holding up candles at the penultimate moment of the organ solo.
"Wait a minute--that sounds like rock and/or roll!!!!"
Then I got the urge to learn the organ solo on guitar. I did not, however, get the urge to listen to the Slayer cover, because it sucks. I love Slayer, though--except for their entire recorded output after 1992.

"I never sleep
'cause sleep is the cousin of death"
-Nasir Jones, 1994

"I'm like a shark; I never sleep--totally wired!!!
"
-Rocket from the Crypt, 1998

This is my philosophy. Even if I NEVER SLEPT I still wouldn't be able to do everything I need to do. I remember some interview with Steve Vai where he said he only slept 2 hr a night during the making of Passion and Warfare. The worst part about that would be feeling like one was underwater, moving in slow motion, and being depressed all the time. After sleeping for 2 or 3 hours, the seratonin and dopamine injection one gets from 8 is pretty fucking intense--like a drug, perhaps...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home